Get to know Dr. Watso
1. Investigating the effects of respiratory muscle training on cardiovascular health and physiological responses during exercise.
2. Determining the role of lifestyle habits (e.g., pharma/nutraceuticals, diet, exercise, sleep, etc.) in contributing to cardiovascular health.
3. Examining interventions that have the potential to improve cardiovascular health throughout the lifespan.
- Ph.D., Applied Physiology, University of Delaware
- B.S., Exercise Science, Salisbury University
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Watso JC, Belval LN, Cimino FA, Orth BD, Hendrix JM, Huang M, Johnson E, Foster J, Hinojosa-Laborde C, Crandall CG. Low-Dose Morphine Reduces Pain Perception and Blood Pressure, but Not Muscle Sympathetic Outflow, Responses During the Cold Pressor Test. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. (H-00092-2022, accepted)
Watso JC, Belval LN, Cimino FA, Orth BD, Hendrix JM, Huang M, Johnson E, Foster J, Hinojosa-Laborde C, Crandall CG. Low-Dose Morphine Reduces Tolerance to Central Hypovolemia in Healthy Adults Without Affecting Muscle Sympathetic Outflow. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2022 Apr 22. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35452317.
Foster J, Watso JC, Crandall CG. Evidence for Chronotropic Incompetence in Well Healed Burn Survivors. J Burn Care Res. 2022 Apr 23; Online ahead of print. PMID: 35460226.
Watso JC, Romero SA, Moralez G, Huang M, Cramer MN, Jaffery MF, Balmain BN, Wilhite DP, Babb TG, Crandall CG. Adults with Well-healed Burn Injuries Have Lower Pulmonary Function for Decades After Injury. Physiol Rep. 2022 May;10(10):e15264. PMCID: PMC9114657.
Stark TR, Davidson NL, Buckenmaier C, Butler FK, Cannon JW, Clifford JL, Crandall C, Mabry RL, McLean BC, Paul JW, Polk TM, Ryan KL, Shackelford SA, Tiede JM, Stallings JD, Cap AP, and the Battlefield Pain Research Steering Committee and Panel Discussion Members: Curell A, Custodio-Goncalves L, Djangal ST, Gerhart RT, Grigsby E, Hargreaves KM, Highland K, Hill-Pryor C, Holt E, Kahn AA, Maitha JC, Montgomery H, Murray P, Por ED, Reed JL, Salas M, Sosanya N, Vogel J, Watso JC. Battlefield Pain Summit 2022: Expert Consensus Statements. (Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery)
Barnett, AM, Babcock MC, Watso JC, Migdal, KU, Gutiérrez OM, Farquhar WB, Robinson AT. High Dietary Salt Intake Increases Urinary NGAL Excretion and Creatine Clearance in Healthy Young Adults. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2022 Feb 14. Online ahead of print. PMID: 35157527.
- NIH NHLBI Mentored Career Development Award to Promote Faculty Diversity in Biomedical Research (K01 HL160772)
- NIH NHLBI Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Clinical Researchers (L30 HL154189)
- NIH NHLBI Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship (F32 HL154559)
- American Physiological Society Postdoctoral Fellowship
- NIH NIGMS Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship (18PRE33960329)
- University of Delaware Doctoral Fellowship