Get to know Dr. McWey
I am passionate about using my Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) training as a researcher and clinician to make a positive difference in the lives of families. I am particularly interested in the mental health needs of families deemed “at-risk” by the child welfare system and evidence-based relational interventions aimed to improve well-being. I am a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and state and AAMFT approved supervisor.
- B.S. Psychology (Florida State University)
- M.Ed. Mental Health Counseling (University of North Florida)
- Ph.D. Marriage and Family Therapy (Florida State University)
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Published research in flagship disciplinary and interdisciplinary journals including:
- Journal of Marriage and Family
- Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
- Child Maltreatment
- Journal of Research on Adolescence
- Family Relations
Recent Select Articles
McWey, L. M. (in press). Systemic interventions for traumatic event exposure: A 2010-2019 decade review. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. https://doi.org/10.1111/jmft.12547
McWey, L. M. & Cui, M. (in press). More frequent contact with biological parents predicts shorter length of time in out-of-home care and youth mental health. Children and Youth Services Review. PMID: 34421162; PMCID: PMC8372933; doi: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2021.106164
McWey, L. M. (2020). Volume 2: Preface. In L. M. McWey (Ed.). The Handbook of Systemic Family Therapy: Volume 2. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Journal of Marital and Family Therapy Article of the Year Award (2020)
- Our team was awarded the U. S. President’s Volunteer Service Award — Awarded for the delivery of evidence-based parent education to local families experiencing homelessness.
- Florida State University Distinguished Teacher Award
- Florida State University Graduate Teaching Award
- Florida State University Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- Florida State University Undergraduate Teaching Award