Ming Cui receives Fulbright Specialist Award to visit Brazil institution

Human Development and Family Science Professor Ming Cui received a Fulbright Specialist Award to visit a Brazil institution this summer.  

The Fulbright Specialist Program, which was established by the U.S. Department of State, provides a unique opportunity for U.S. academics and professionals to engage in short-term exchanges at host institutions across the globe. Cui is going to the Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRRJ) in Brazil to work with the faculty and graduate students from the Graduate Program in Social Sciences.

mcui headshot
Ming Cui, Ph.D., professor and graduate program director

“I am excited to have this opportunity and look forward to working with the faculty and graduate students of PPGCS,” Cui said. “I will be giving two presentations on emerging issues in the social sciences, offering a workshop on theory and practice of research in social sciences, and developing a strategic plan of collaboration with PPGCS researchers.”    

The Graduate Program in Social Sciences (PPGCS) comprises 28 full-time professors and offers both master’s and doctoral programs.

“I hope my visit will be mutually beneficial for the host institution and my home institution. The goal of this project is to encourage and promote cross-cultural collaboration and research network through academic exchange,” Cui added. “While helping PPGCS to build and expand their program, I hope my effort could also bring international visibility and recognition to our Human Development and Family Science program at FSU.”

Cui’s research interests include adolescent and young adult development (e.g., emotional and behavioral problems); the influence of family of origin (e.g., parenting) on adolescents and young adults; cultural diversity in family and child studies; and research methodology.

This is the second Fulbright award Cui has received. In 2017, she visited University of Helsinki in Finland where she taught a graduate-level methodology course and conducted collaborative research as a Fulbright Scholar.