Academic Policies

for the College of Health and Human Sciences

For lower-division Human Sciences students: While you are a lower division student (generally your first two years), your Academic Dean is the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. During this period you must have approval from the Office of Undergraduate Studies (located in the University Center A3400, 850-644-2451) for any situation that requires the approval of your Academic Dean.

For upper-division Human Sciences students: If you are an upper division Human Sciences student who must obtain Academic Dean’s signature/approval, please see Genna Boyd in the Academic Affairs Office in 207 Sandels.  Examples include approval to drop a course after the seventh week of classes, permission to take an overload (more than 18 hours), permission to withdraw from the semester, etc.

If you want to schedule more than 18 semester hours (an overload) during any semester, you must obtain an overload permit and dean’s permission from the Human Sciences Academic Affairs office in 207 SAN prior to registration.

Please Note:  Overload approvals are NOT guaranteed.  The office will review past performance, and intended schedule before making a decision. You may not register for more than 21 semester hours under any circumstances. You do not need permission for an under load (less than 12 hours). However, it is your responsibility to check that sufficient hours have been scheduled for financial aid, scholarships, and insurance purposes.

It is your responsibility to check each semester’s Academic Calendar for deadlines. FSU and the College of Human Sciences do enforce deadlines. Missed deadlines can have a serious effect on your academic career.

You may drop a course during the first seven weeks of the semester without any special permission (deadlines for the shorter summer terms are adjusted accordingly) except for the following situations: You may not drop mandated college-preparatory courses, freshmen composition, and courses involved in allegations of academic dishonesty. If you are a lower division student, you must have permission from the Office of Undergraduate Studies (University Center A3400) to drop below 12 hours on your schedule.

To drop a course during the first seven weeks of the semester, you must drop the course online using the course drop tool: Go to > trash can > drop course for closed enrollment period

Note: You are financially liable for all courses that appear on your schedule at the end of the regular drop/add period. The dropped course is considered an attempt for purposes of the repeated course surcharge, and will also be included as hours in the excess credit counter. If dropped in the first seven weeks, the course will not appear on your transcript. If you are a Bright Futures recipient, you will be required to pay back Bright Futures for any course dropped after the drop/add period. For more information about Bright Futures changes, click here. For more information about excess credit hours, click here.

You must have the permission of your Academic Dean’s Office for a late course drop after the 7th week. You are eligible for two late course drops during your first 60 semester hours and one late course drop after you have earned 60 semester hours. Note: If you do not use your two late course drops in your first 60 semester hours, they do NOT carry over.

To request a late course drop, upper division Human Sciences students must:

  1. Student must provide a drop form with this petition. Go to > trash can > drop course for closed enrollment period, and print drop form after acknowledgment screens. Only the Dean signs the drop form.
  2. Go to the Academic Affairs Office in 207 SAN to complete a form for a late course drop. If you are a lower division student, you must go to the Office of Undergraduate Studies (University Center A3400) to request a late course drop.

Course drops after the 12th week of the semester are also very rare. For more information and to discuss your specific situation, including petitioning to drop for extenuating circumstances, please see the Academic Coordinator in 207 SAN.

Please note: Retroactive course drop petitions are considered only within one calendar year of course enrollment.

For upper division students, all course drops approved after the 7th week of the semester will count as one of the allowed late course drops except in the following circumstances:

  1. A course drop approved for medical (or mental health) reasons through the formal university process (request the appropriate forms in the Human Sciences Academic Affairs Office (207 SAN).
  2. A course drop approved due to a death in your immediate family (parent, spouse, child, sibling). For a late course drop to be approved due to a death in your immediate family, you must submit a Petition for a Late Course Drop accompanied by either:
    • An obituary that includes the date of death, your name, and your relationship to the deceased; or
    • An obituary or death certificate indicating the date of death and a notarized letter from a parent confirming your relationship to the deceased.
    • A course drop approved by the College of Human Sciences Academic Affairs Office for documented extenuating circumstances.

Please note: No more than 50% of a student’s schedule may be dropped through this process. Students requesting more than 50% of their schedule dropped for any of the above reasons will need to initiate a withdrawal instead (all courses dropped for a semester).

Withdrawals are initiated in the Withdrawal Services section of the Office of the Dean of Students (University Center A4329, 850-644-1741). During the first seven weeks of the semester, you can withdraw from FSU (drop all your classes) without receiving grades. If you withdraw from FSU after the 7th week of the semester, you will receive grades in your courses. Grades of W (withdrew passing) or F (withdrew failing) will be assigned by your instructors depending on the quality of your work up to the time of your withdrawal. A “W” grade does not affect your FSU GPA. An “F” grade does affect your FSU GPA, the same as any “F” grade. Re-entry after a withdrawal is not automatic; please contact an advisor in the Human Sciences Academic Affairs Office (207 SAN). Withdrawals are considered only within one calendar year of course enrollment.

The Florida Legislature requires a repeated-course surcharge for all state universities. If you enroll in the same course at the same institution for the third time, you will be subject to a repeated-course surcharge in addition to regular tuition and fees. All course drops and withdrawals (if you were fee liable for the course) are considered attempts. You will be charged the repeated-course surcharge on your third attempt in the same course. Click here for the current amount of the surcharge, under the “Other Fees” tab.

Students should initiate a Human Sciences graduation check by scheduling an appointment during the semester in which the student will complete 90 semester credit hours (this includes the hours earned PLUS your current enrollment). The Human Sciences “college check” will indicate whether college and university requirements are completed (and, if not, what courses must yet be taken). In addition, the respective academic department will indicate what (if any) courses must be taken to complete requirements for the major or minor. NOTE: You are required to make an appointment with your advisor to complete your graduation check. Schedule an Appointment for a Grad Check

At the same time, students must also request a graduation check from the University Registrar’s Office.

You should apply for graduation online through the Secure Apps tab on Blackboard during the first three weeks of the semester you expect to graduate. For specific dates and more information about graduation, you can visit the University Registrar’s website.

You are responsible for completing the prerequisites or corequisites required for courses in which you enroll. Some departments will drop you from a course if you do not have the required prerequisite. However, your failure to have completed appropriate prerequisites is not justification for you to request a course drop outside the normal procedures for course drops.

FSU has a mandatory first-day attendance policy for all classes. Non-attendance at the first class meeting will result in the class being dropped from your schedule. If you cannot attend the first class meeting of a course, you must contact the department offering the course prior to the first day of classes to retain your seat in the class. It is still your responsibility to verify that your course schedule is correct and that your fees are adjusted prior to the end of the drop/add period, which is the first 4 days of classes. Failure to do so will result in grade and fee liability. If you are a Bright Futures recipient, you will be required to pay back Bright Futures for any class remaining on your schedule after the 4th day of classes at midnight. Click here for further information on Bright Futures changes. Any class remaining on your schedule after the 4th day of classes, whether subsequently dropped or not, will be included in your excess credit counter. Click here for information on excess credit hours.

Duplicate credit will not be awarded for courses that are equivalent to courses previously passed, whether taken at another institution or FSU. (For example, CGS 1100 and CGS 2100 are considered the same course.) If you have questions about course duplication, please see an advisor.

An Incomplete (“I”) grade may be assigned by an instructor if you are passing a course, and you miss a portion of the course work (for example, an exam, a course project or assignment, etc.) due to an excused absence that cannot be made up until after the semester is over. An “I” grade must be removed in a timely manner by completing that portion of the course work you missed. You must complete the work by the instructor’s deadline, but no later than the end of the next semester in which you are enrolled. You should not register for a course in which an “I” grade has been assigned; doing so results in the “I” grade being changed to an “IE” grade, which is calculated as an “F” in your FSU GPA.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades: If you have concerns about an S/U grade for a course, please contact our office.

If you enrolled in FSU or one of the other state universities with fewer than 60 semester hours of transfer credit, you must earn at least 9 semester hours of coursework during one or more summer sessions at FSU or one of the State University System campuses. If you earned an A.A. degree from a Florida community college prior to enrolling in FSU or another State University, you are exempt from this requirement. If you earned college credits through dual enrollment, AP, or IB credit prior to enrolling at FSU as a freshman, you may also be exempt from this requirement. If you have questions about this requirement, please discuss your situation with an advisor. If satisfying the summer hours requirement would be a hardship, you may petition for a waiver of the summer hours requirement by visiting the College of Human Sciences Academic Affairs Office in 207 SAN after you have initiated a graduation check for our college (see details above).

If you entered FSU with fewer than 60 hours of transfer credit, you must complete both a “Cross-Cultural” (X) course and a “Diversity” (Y) course to satisfy the FSU Diversity Requirement. If you entered FSU with 60 hours or more of transfer credit, you are required to complete only one diversity course (X or Y) prior to graduation. Equivalent transfer courses completed before entering FSU may satisfy this requirement (check with an advisor). Courses may be taken as part of the Liberal Studies, major, or minor requirements or as electives. Click here for a list of available courses (under “Diversity Requirement”).

In addition to the two English courses required in the Liberal Studies Program, you must complete four courses that are designated as “Gordon Rule Writing Courses.” In the FSU Bulletin, and on the list of Liberal Studies courses, “Gordon Rule Writing Courses” are designated with a “W” following the course number. Courses used to fulfill this writing requirement may also be used to satisfy Liberal Studies course requirements. Courses used to satisfy the Gordon Rule Writing Requirement must be completed with a “C-” or better.

You must complete at least 120 semester hours to receive a baccalaureate degree from FSU.

A maximum of 2 semester hours of activity physical education credits will count toward the baccalaureate degree.

If you are a degree-seeking Human Sciences upper division student at FSU, you must not take any course at another institution without receiving permission from 1) your department advisor and 2) an academic dean in the College of Human Sciences. To do so, you must complete a paper transient form if you will be requesting to take courses outside of the State of Florida; if you want to take courses in the State of Florida, you may go to and submit an electronic form.

Courses must be taken at other 4-year, accredited institutions. Only courses that are absolutely necessary for your degree will be approved. Upper-Division students: please See FSU Residency Requirement.

Your final 30 semester hours must be completed in residence at Florida State. Petitions for waivers of this requirement must document exceptional circumstances and must be submitted to the College of Human Sciences Academic Affairs Office in 207 SAN prior to enrolling in any courses at another institution. Under no circumstances can you complete any community college coursework during your final 30 semester hours at FSU.

If you have taken approved courses at another college/university, when the grades are posted you will need to send an official copy of the transcripts to the Registrar’s office.

All Family and Child Sciences students are required to complete a minor or area of concentration. Please see your FCS advisor to figure out which minor to do. To complete your minor, you may choose any minor from FSU’s approved minors. You may consult the Undergraduate Bulletin for details for minor requirements for each department. No overlap will be allowed between minor courses and major, liberal studies, or language requirements.

  1. Final examinations in undergraduate courses are discretionary within any given department. If a department chooses to give a final exam, the exam schedule must be followed as published.
  2. All students, including graduating seniors and graduate students, enrolled in an undergraduate course having a final examination are required to take the examination.
  3. The scheduling of a final examination at any time other than the regularly scheduled final examination period is prohibited by Faculty Senate policy. The final exam schedule is found in the Registration Guide
  4. Unless an exam is given during the final examination period, not test may be given during the last week of classes.

Exceptions to the Examination Policy for an Individual Undergraduate Student: Approval by the academic dean of the college in which the course is taught is required for any change in examination time for an individual undergraduate student. The student must first receive written permission from the instructor, if the instructor is willing to give a make-up examination at a specified time within the exam week. The student must then petition the dean of the unit which the course is taught, giving the reason for the requested exception, and including the instructor’s written permission. The dean will then notify the instructor in writing if approval is granted.

Make-up examinations are permitted for an undergraduate student when justified by illness, conflicting examination, four or more examination in a 24-hour period, or for certain emergenciesArrangements must be made prior to the scheduled exam.

In case of conflicting examination, group examination takes precedence over examinations scheduled by class meeting time. In the case of conflicts that cannot otherwise be resolved, the course meeting earlier (by day and time) takes precedence over a course meeting later.

Exceptions to the Examination Policy for an Entire Undergraduate Class: Courses that utilize the Office of Distance Learning (ODL) Assessment and Testing Center for a block exam, of which are otherwise limited to specific days and times because of seating and scheduling constraints, will take precedence in the case of final exam schedule conflicts. It is the student’s responsibility to identify such conflicts as early as possible and to notify all instructors in advance so that accommodations may be made.